Monday, May 14, 2007

Ten Miles


At the start of the year I set out to run the Ogden Marathon this coming weekend. It was going to be my goal to motivate me to stay in shape. Well we are less than a week away and I have had to reduce my goal to just running a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) this coming Saturday. All of the time spent with Bryson down in Utah has not allowed me to train as much as I needed to complete the full 26.2 miles. However, I do feel like completing 13.1 miles will be a worthwhile accomplishment because of my purpose in running. Ever since Bryson came to us, I have felt a renewed motivation to keep running to keep the pounds off because I felt like "Who Am I?" to waste a healthy heart when Bryson and so many other kids struggle with heart problems from birth. I am running in honor of Bryson, Alex, Dillon and all of those special heart kids out there that are simply amazing. Friday night I had Jennylin drop me off ten miles from home. With my Ipod in hand and a water bottle I set my sights for home. As I ran (jogged is proably more like it) I had lots of time to think about how running long distance is so much like life. If I start out too fast I get tired quickly, if I start out too slow then I am not making progress very fast. The key for me is to find a comfortable pace and find that border of constantly pushing myself to progress but not tire quickly. I hope I am ready for this weekend and hope that I can do Bryson, Alex and the gang proud!! The pictures are some shirts that Jen had made up for this weekend!!

2 comments:

Bringhurst Family said...

You go! Just don't hurt yourself.

Heart Mommy said...

So is it okay that I am bawling!!!! Eric we are so proud of you for all your hard work and we are so thankful for our new friends.. We are so glad we have you.. even when it is just a call to hear Jennylin say it will all be okay!!!!We love you guys..