Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thank goodness for cardiology check-ups

Bryson just had his cardiology appt. Things look o.k., but now we know why he is a bit not himself. His aorta has narrowed again, causing the blood flow to be restricted. This can cause leg cramps, blueness (more than normal), fatigue, and as a mom I will say awnryness. When you arn't feeling well because of restircted blood flow, I think I would be awnry too. The cardiologist told me that when he feels for his pulses in his wrist and leg they should be felt at the same time, however his are not, his leg pulse is delayed, his blood pressure in his arm and leg are quite different and the echo showed restiricted blood flow, all indications that the aorta has narrowed again. So now we wait to hear from that cath lab as to when they can schedule him in to balloon it back open. This is something he has had done before, and will need to have done again, however we kinda got in a groove of normal. It is just another reminder that as 'normal' of a kid as he may appear, he does live with a life threatening condition. So we are grateful that it wasn't the news that he needs a new heart already, but a gentle reminder of what a blessing he is in our lives and that someday the time for a new heart will come.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Glad they were able to figure out what needs to be done to help Bryson. Hoping the the cath makes a big differences. Sending hugs & prayers.

Stephanie Ellinger said...

Its nice being in the kinda normal mode isn't it? I sometimes find myself forgetting that things aren't ever really normal. Hope that the cath will make a difference to him!

Curtis and Crystal said...

I hope everything will be okay. We are always thinking about him and your family. He is a strong little boy.

Marcy said...

I know what you mean by living in the "normal"...and then being taken by surprise. Hoping and praying they will get him in soon and when the day comes for a new heart, a healthy one will be available for him. Prayers and hugs for y'all...

Donna Madsen said...

Glad you caught it when you did! Good luck with the surgery!